General Counsel Corner – PA jumps in to the “Stay at Home Order” arena in select counties
In the ever-changing landscape, I know one thing is for certain, we will get through this. However, with my youngest trying to mow our hardwood floors with his toy lawnmower and our dogs cowering in the corner scared, it is tough to see the light at the end of the tunnel sometimes. I guess there is a little humor in every day.
Apologies for the multiple attachments, but there was a lot of information put out over the weekend. Below are the latest updates that I believe are of most interest to your business:
- Politics have not been set aside: Republicans and Democrats are at each other’s throats for the next stimulus bill as it went down in flames again. The big sticking point is the amount of funds going to larger corporate enterprises versus the small business community. See the attached article for more details: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democrats-block-key-vote-on-dollar2-trillion-coronavirus-bill-as-senate-floor-erupts-with-partisan-anger/ar-BB11xjB8?ocid=spartandhp
- PA, albeit limited, jumps into the “stay at home” order arena: Philly already had a stay at home order in place, but now Governor Wolf has issued the same directive to Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Monroe and Montgomery counties. Also, school shutdowns statewide have been extended for another two weeks. See the attached article for more details: https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/03/gov-tom-wolf-issues-stay-at-home-order-for-7-counties-school-closures-will-extend-two-more-weeks.html
- State by State, no consistency: There is no consistent theme to how States are handling business shutdowns/restrictions and stay at home directives. Linked is an email update that I received from a fellow attorney in NJ (Tedd Kochman at Littler) that lays out orders from a number of states nationwide. Also, we just got an update that MD is following a similar order to what PA did with non-essential business shutdowns; see the following link: https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-md-pol-hogan-nonessential-businesses-20200323-mb5ltcvsjvbu3ihp236por2xvq-story.html.
- Wall Street Analysts Slashing Forecasts: Notes from two Wall Street Analysts. Earnings, as expected, are being slashed for 2020.
- Latest Non-Life Sustaining List: The latest list of non-life sustaining businesses in the State of PA with some additional guidance. We have heard from some clients that they have received waivers from the State. However, the approval/denial process is still unclear.
- Updated tax credit memo: We have updated our memo discussing the employer tax credits under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act. We have included guidance from the IRS along with examples of how the credits work.
- Updated PA county office status list: The latest list from the PA Land Title Association of all the PA county offices and their respective department/office availability status.
Please see all of our updates at the following link: https://mpl-law.com/resource-center/
As always, please don’t hesitate to email myself or anyone in our office with any questions or comments. Also, please feel free to forward our updates to others.
Keep moving forward! We will get back to normal.