“We are on a mission from God”; The Importance of Business Mission Statements
If you are old enough to remember The Blues Brothers, the gist of the story is that the two brothers set out to prevent the foreclosure of the Catholic orphanage where they were raised. Said better by Elwood Blues, “We are on a mission from God”. It was clear in the movie what they were doing and why they were doing it. Do you know what your company is about or why it exists? If you don’t know the answer, then you probably have a company that does not have a well thought out mission or vision statement.
What exactly is a mission or vision statement? Essentially, a mission statement defines what line of business a company is in, why it exists and what purposes it serves. So, how do you define this for your company? There are lots of different ways to land on this important concept. Below are some helpful articles and videos, which you might find insightful:
- Simon Sinek – “Find Your Why”
- Answer 4 Questions to Get a Great Mission Statement (forbes.com)
- Mission statements – HBR
The bottom line is that if you can’t define why your business exists, it is tough for your customers or employees to know it.
Here are a few other items of interest:
- The Winning Perspective of Mezzanine Debt – YouTube (latest from David Barnitt @ Attract Capital)
- The Pendulum Swing: Employee vs Employer Market (stambaughness.com)
- Year-End Tax Strategies (eisneramper.com) (11/20; 12-330pm EST)
- Executive Edge: Workforce Strategy for 2024 (Stambaugh Ness Webinar 11/29; 2-3pm)
- Bankruptcy and Taxes (eisneramper.com) (11/29; 12-1pm)
As always, please don’t hesitate to email myself (firstname.lastname@example.org), Andy Miller (email@example.com), Christian Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org), Erik Spurlin (email@example.com), Brad Leber (firstname.lastname@example.org) or anyone in our office with questions or comments.