What Are My Legal Options? I Want To Sue!
Maybe it’s me, but I have noticed an uptick in business client calls that end with “what are my legal options?” or “I want to sue!” As I listen to their issues, more times than not the root cause is typically based on a communications breakdown.
Perhaps a supplier did not adequately explain all the terms and conditions of the product or service being provided. Maybe your expectation of the level of service or quality was not adequately told to the person or company providing it. How about when you don’t check in with a valued employee and they all of a sudden leave? Do you want to enforce a non-compete if one is in place?
In each of these situations, communication is more times than not at the heart of the issue. None of us is perfect in this area. However, being clear and honest with your intentions will typically lessen the likelihood of a legal issue arising. I can assure you that entering the legal arena, unless it’s a large, six figure+ type of payout, will hurt more than help your business.
Check out some interesting perspectives on this very topic:
- How Great Leaders Communicate (hbr.org)
- How To Develop Effective Communication Within A Company (forbes.com)
- Effective Communication In Business Needs Much More Than Language Proficiency | Entrepreneur
- Why Better Business Communication Matters and How to Improve It | ACC Docket
Sometimes the easiest solution is the simplest one.
Here are some other items of interest:
- Webinar | Top Five Tips to Get More Sales With Your Online Marketing (without having to spend all your time on social media) (nfib.com)
- Congressional Outlook for Small Businesses (nfib.com)
- Smart Business Dealmakers Conference – April 26, 2023 (thanks to Murphy McCormack Capital Advisors for sharing)
As always, please don’t hesitate to email myself (firstname.lastname@example.org), Andy Miller (email@example.com), Christian Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org), Erik Spurlin (email@example.com), Brad Leber (firstname.lastname@example.org) or anyone in our office with questions or comments.
Please see all of our prior updates at this link or if you would like to be added to our email list, please click here.