MPL General Counsel Corner – You Have Two Ears and One Mouth, Use Them Accordingly
Maybe it’s me, but I have noticed an uptick in business client calls that include the following: “What are my legal options?” or “I want to sue!” As I listen to their issues, more times than not the root cause is typically a breakdown in communication. Maybe the supplier did not adequately explain all the ins and outs of the product or service being provided to you. Perhaps it was not the supplier’s issue and your expectation of the level of service or quality was not adequately expressed. Maybe your client is falling on tough times and is scared to tell you about it (i.e., they aren’t paying their invoice). How about when you don’t check in with a valued employee and they all of a sudden leave?
In each of these situations, poor communication is more times than not at the heart of the issue. None of us is perfect in this area. However, listening and being clear and honest with your intentions will typically lessen the likelihood of an issue arising. I can assure you that entering the legal arena, unless it’s a large, six figure+ type of payout, will hurt more than help your business.
Check out some interesting perspectives on this very topic:
- How To Effectively Communicate With Clients: The Art Of Brevity (forbes.com)
- 10 Steps to Improving Employee Communication and Satisfaction | Inc.com
- You Don’t Need to Be Perfect to Be an Effective Communicator – Inc.com; Debra Roberts
- Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address Is a Masterpiece in Effective Communication. Here’s Why – Inc.com; Julian Hayes II
I will leave you with the following quote, which I think is appropriate for this week’s GCC:
“You have two ears and one mouth, use them accordingly.” – Steven Covey (and several others)
Here are a few other things that may be of interest:
- Managing Discrimination Investigations – Stambaugh Ness (Webinar; 6/30 @ 2pm)
- State & Local Tax: Strategies for Starting and Doing Business in Multiple States – Stambaugh Ness – (Webinar; 6/21 @ 2pm)
Helpful Resource Pages
- Knowledge Center (eisneramper.com)
- Trout CPA Blog | Tax & Business-Related Topics
- Resources – Stambaugh Ness
- News & Analysis | Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Insights, Analysis & Perspectives for Your Business | RKL LLP (rklcpa.com)
- NFIB Research: Data and Trends Affecting Small Business Owners | NFIB
- The Tax Warrior Chronicles (taxwarriors.com)
As always, please don’t hesitate to email myself (email@example.com), Andy Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org), Christian Miller (email@example.com), Erik Spurlin (firstname.lastname@example.org) or anyone in our office with questions or comments.